This has been one of my many reads on adoption. Those of you who know me well, know that I read, read, read, research, research, research before doing something new. (I read book after book after book on how to ski before I went skiing the first time as a kid. Somehow, Jean Claude Kelley made it look a lot easier in the book than it actually was!) Although just beginning this adoption journey, I have already had to learn new vocabulary. Here are just some of the terms:
USCIS: United States Citizenship and Immigration Services--These guys are part of the new Department of Homeland Security--that sounds so ominous doesn't it? They are the ones who give us a visa for our child. They also decide if we are capable of parenting an adopted child as well as making sure our child can be legally adopted.
I-600A: This application determines our ability to parent an adopted child. Our home study will be a BIG factor in getting approval. (Doug asked me the other day if people can really flunk the home study??!!)
I-171H: The form you get when USCIS approves of you. Russia will want a copy of this one!
I-600: This application is used when we get our referral, so the USCIS can determine if this child meets the definition of an orphan.
Apostille: (a-pos-teel) Everything that goes to Russia has to be notarized and apostilled. The apostilled is essentially a notary of the notary. Russia wants to make sure that you didn't buy Granny a fancy stamp at Office Max and have her witness all your signatures. Once we have everything notarized, we send all the papers to our Secretary of State's office who will apostille them. Thankfully, our fun stops here. We are considering ourselves lucky in this regard. Since we live in Texas, our notarized papers head straight for Austin. Other states, like Oklahoma, have you send them to the county clerk's office then the state. Some countries then have you send the state apostilled documents to the US State Department. It gets better. Then those documents are sent to the Embassy of Foreign Affairs to get authenticated.
Pop Quiz on Friday!


No comments:
Post a Comment