I took a break last night from cleaning the dust off the top of the electrical outlet plates to finish our adoption training. Our home study agency requires 10 hours of education. I'm not sure that is enough. You just really think about the medical side of the adoption, but there are attachment issues, grief, loss, dealing with others' negative opinions about adoptions, etc. Did I feel this inadequate before I had Annsley? Adoption is a whole new ball of wax--more like those Bendaroos or Wiki Stix that have recently inhabited my house. The training was online and so dry but full of information which neither of us had thought about. At the end of each course, we had to take a test. When we got started on the first one, Doug noticing a little clock ticking, said, "Oh shoot! They're timing us!" That was probably a knee jerk reaction to all his years of defensive driving tests over the internet. Never fear, we scored 100 on all of our tests. Does that mean I'm going to be ready to parent an adopted child? I know I can change the diaper although I'll have to learn about those teepee things, and I can take care of diaper rash, but it's going to have to be by the grace of God to help us nurture this little being into the boy that God designed him to be!
Doug and I each have to write an autobiography for our homestudy. Mine ended up being 4 1/2 pages, single space 10 font. I had given Doug the outline about two weeks ago and reminded him to be working on it whenever he had a free moment at work. As of last night, he couldn't remember me giving him the outline. He calls me from school a few minutes ago and tells me he's already written one page and has answered only 4 of the 25-30 questions. He wants to know if it gets faster. I reminded him he hasn't even gotten to the questions about his turbulent adolescent years yet! We're not suppose to read each others until after the home visit, so I'm not, but I'm dying to know if or how he's spun those high school and college years to make him the wonderful man he is today!
Our home visit is scheduled for 12:30PM Sunday. Please be in prayer with us that goes smoothly! Doug called a friend of ours who adopted a boy from Russia a couple of years ago and asked what was going to happen with this home visit. Philip told him, "Hey, they're just going to be checking to see that you're not an ax murderer or something!" If that is all it is, then I think we're going to be OK!
A soft re-entry
7 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment