My plane was cancelled. I've rescheduled it in February, but I've had to endure the fish smell permeating my house all weekend. Peel and eat shrimp Friday night; grilled salmon and some kind of scallops in butter today; what swamp infested creature will be eaten tomorrow I don't know; I've been eating the chili I made on Thursday. I have tried a bite of everything for my daughters' sakes, but I still don't like any of it after all these years; it is a texture and smell thing with me. I equate it to eating some kind of lightweight Silly Putty. I've tried to like it--really I have-- but thankfully Red Lobster and the like always have some kind of grilled chicken with special sauce for me to eat.
It has been two days of watching all three of my children play in the snow--Doug, Annsley, and Kennedi. After gasping for wind and taking days to recover from the last time he pulled the girls on the sleds himself, yesterday afternoon Doug decides to pull the girls on their sleds behind the Jeep . He gets stuck in a 3 foot snow drift. While trying to get out, he sprays the girls with mud and snow. I hear Kennedi screaming--in fact, everyone within 5 miles hears her screaming--she hates to get dirty! She ends up in the front seat. Annsley isn't real impressed with the whole sledding thing either. When both of them come in, they have mud splattered all over their faces and hats. Today, Annsley decides she'll give it another try. Kennedi will have nothing to do with it and sits in the front seat of the Jeep. Doug is driving around the barn, behind the fence in the pasture, and up to the front of the house--round, and round, and round. I'm on the computer and all I hear is Annsley yelling, "Doug--Slow like a turtle. Slow like a turtle, DOUG-SLOW LIKE A TURTLE!" (For those of you who don't know her, she calls her daddy by his first name. We don't know why.) Of course, he's creeping as slow as he can without getting stuck, but she is still very unsure of this whole sledding thing. Kennedi is literally hanging out the passenger window yelling, "Go Sisser! I poud of ooo! Good Job! I love ooo! I love ooo!" I'm sure the "I love you" statement stems from her experience the day before thinking this might be her sister's last waterloo. She never takes her eyes off Annsley and lets Daddy know when Annsley tips over. This goes on for over an hour. Later I happen to look out the window, and I see Annsley flying by the house--much too fast for her conservative mother's comfort. "Go Doug! Go faster!" she yells and giggles. On a stop, I have to remind Doug that she is only 5. My husband's reply of innocence was, "But she wants me to go fast!" And of course, Annsley pipes up, "Yeah, Mom. It's fun!" Since Kennedi refuses to get on her sled, Doug invites our neighbor's son to join them, and he and Annsley spend over another dizzying hour going round, and round, and round. I'm sure Doug burned up a half a tank of gas. On a bathroom break, Kennedi decides she's ready to try it again after seeing that her sister is free from mud today. I go outside to watch, and as she goes by the house, she is so proud of herself. "Look Mommy! I not scaaed!" When they FINALLY came inside, Annsley said, "Mom, that was some kinda fun today!" Why oh why did I not have the video camcorder charged????
So, even though I didn't make it to San Antonio, I did get to witness some precious moments with my girls and for that, I wouldn't change a thing!
A soft re-entry
7 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment