When Love Takes You In

Monday, September 13, 2010

And To Top It All Off...

(Am I as witty as I think I am on the internet???) Today's Russian 101 is headgear!

The boyar hat: This was worn by Russian nobility between the 15-17th centuries and indicated social status. The higher the hat, the higher the status. Typically it was covered in fur and was on average 30 inches tall. When it was not on the head it could be used as a muff for hands.


The ushanka: This was typically a leather and rabbit fur cap designed with ear flaps that could be let down or tied up.


The kokoshnik: This was a woman's traditional headdress that could be pointed or rounded. It usually was tied in the back of the head with a large ribbon.
The peaked cap: This item became known in the 1800s by the Russian army. The Canadians picked it up as the primary head piece during WWI until it was replaced by a helmet due to the large number of head injuries. HELLO! (By the way, I'm not trying to dish our North American friends...just typing what I read...)
Budenovka: This hat was made of soft wool that covered the ears and neck. It could be used under a helmet for warmth (at least the later version could fit under the helmet...see pix)

The funny pointed hat that won't fit: (Was this the forerunner to the beanie?) The new and improved version guaranteed to delight all Russian soldiers alike:



1 comment:

  1. So, the first thought I had when I saw the Budenovka was oh- the same shape as St. Basil's Cathedral! :)

    ReplyDelete