When Love Takes You In

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

West Texas Fun---or Not!

Anything by Creativity for Kids and Alex brands are awesome! I love them, and my girls love them even more. I refuse to spend any money on "novelty toys", and I constantly find myself gravitating to items that require creativity and imagination. These two companies do an awesome job. Here are the latest "things" to inhabit our house: --sock puppets the girls created! No, Kennedi's dog (and I say dog lightly) is not one-eyed; my children, for whatever reason, have never been privy to a puppet show. Annsley got the hang on how the whole thing was suppose to operate, but Kennedi (whose puppet comes from a long line of DNA mess ups and apparently some serious in-breeding) just flopped it on her hand like it was some spineless mute. Any way--they came from a kit by Creativity for Kids--and parents of preschoolers, the best part was--NO GLUE! Everything was peel and stick!!

And for some more kid friendly fun:


No, it's not Spider in a Box brand--unfortunately, it's tarantula season around these parts. I HATE spiders; I hate bugs; I hate reptiles; Annsley loves them. She had a ball this spring with her daily catches on horned lizards. Several found their way into her closet for safe keeping while she took her nap. She catches grasshoppers, walking sticks, and now today she was about to wet her pants wanting to pick up this friendly critter. I have tried to keep my, shall I call them "inhibitions?" to myself and not transfer my dislikes/fears/whatever to my children. For all practical purposes, they think I like all foods even though they haven't seen me eat it. I, like a good parent concerned about exposing my children to all the wonderful items out there, feed them things that I won't touch IE: eggs, fish sticks, shrimp, carrots from a can. Annsley is starting to ask me if I like such and such; I avoid answering her and with brilliance that can only be matched by an M.I.T honors graduate, I change the subject by saying, "Do you know who LOVES frozen chicken pot pies? Your Aunt Krissy! You need to ask her about all the ones she ate when she was your age!" I pick someone she likes, lets Annsley know that she has something in common, and we go on. Right now, Kennedi just copies Annsley, so if Annsley thinks it tastes good, so does she.

However, when it comes to creepy, crawly things, the copy cat comes to a screeching halt. Nada--nope--no way Jose! We don't have to worry about checking Kennedi's pockets before dinner to make sure the frog is out. Annsley, like that proud cat who brings its half alive bird into your kitchen and drops it boastfully at your feet, carts her entourage of insects and reptiles into my house. "Look Mom!" I, remaining calm, simply tell her that I do not want grasshoppers in my house and to take it outside. So, while Annsley is having this 8 legged creature crawl over her, this is as close as Kennedi wanted to get. (I'm right there with you, Girl!)

Of course, my husband, knowing full well the extent to which I detest these things, asks me when I'm walking back into the house from my photo session, "Hey, Baby. Do YOU want to pick up the tarantula?" Always quick witted and brilliant, I reply, "I would Honey, but I have broccoli that needs blanching for supper." So, as of yet, my secret is safe from my girls. And, Kennedi did eventually have a break through moment after watching Big Hairy Ugly Go Back to Africa Spider crawl all over her sister for a good 30 minutes:
You go, Girls! Momma will just watch from the kitchen window and pine for the first hard freeze that kills all these things....

2 comments:

  1. so with you on that one! I HATE bugs and especially spiders. Luckly we do NOT have them like that here though in KC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't knock chicken pot pies...Aunt Krissy survived on those for years. Must say I can't stand them now! Power to Kennedi for holding that nasty thing. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete