When Love Takes You In

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Thank you Mr. Russian!

Russian 101...

The Russian people have never been without plenty of brains and aptitude (and our boy will have no less :) Yes, I'm a proud momma already. They have been responsible for thousands of inventions that we use today. Here are just a few of them:

Beef Stroganoff:1800s (YUM!--if I can eat that the entire trip I will be in hog heaven!)

Rebar

Faberge Eggs

Fire Fighting Foam: 1902 (yes, the stuff used to put out fires)

Periodic Table of Chemical Elements 1869 (high school students all over America are high fiving their Russian counterpart for doing this for them)

AK-47: 1940s

Arc Welding: 1881

Self Propelled Rocket Launcher: WWII

Moon Rover: 1969

Powdered Milk: 1832

Banya (sauna): 1113 (I can't stand them but Doug would build one in our house if I would let him...Does anybody else get dizzy in those sweat tubs???)

Aerowagon:1920

Monorail: 1820

Anti-reflective coatings: 1935 (Those on the road with me at night can thank this Russian.)

Sailor cap: 1811 (Those hats that make 40 year old navy officers look like a 23 year old...)

Nuclear powered icebreaker ship:1959

By the way, I returned the ugly yet comfortable all weather shoes from Land's End the other day. Sorry Land's End! (See post about my internet shopping escapade...) Yes, they were $9.00 on clearance, but I decided what's the point in going to Russia if I can't look good doing it? Really! My young son needs to know that his mommy may be frugal, but she does have great taste!

No comments:

Post a Comment