When Love Takes You In

Friday, September 10, 2010

Livin' in a Girl's World

I haven't really bought anything for our little boy yet, and all we have as hand me downs scream "GIRL!" This boy is going to have to be tough because the bikes he will be inheriting are flamboyishly pink and purple. As I've stated before, we didn't find out the sex of Annsley until she arrived on this great earth, so up to that moment of her debut everything was gender neutral--bedding, infant toys, and of course the onesies and pajamas you get at your baby showers. We were ready for a he or she. Try as I might to keep the gender neutral theme going early on (just in case baby #2 would happen to be a boy), the dam began leaking and pink literally engulfed our house overnight. Just try to keep a grandma from buying that frilly pink outfit! With the addition of Kennedi, our house has truly become a girl's hideout. We have Fancy Nancy books, purple Sit-N-Spins, hot pink comforters, dresses, tights and of course, dolls. The only masculine thing we have is an aging Tonka dump trunk that Annsley would push Kennedi around in when Kennedi could fit in it. Now it serves as a step stool for tree climbing.


Needless to say, the scale is tipped way over on the feminine side. 3 girls to 1 guy--our cats are neutered so that can't help dear old Doug either. I'm not the "don't buy it or you'll jinx it" kind of girl, but I simply haven't purchased anything until I know better the size and age and development of our little boy. However, the other day, I did buy a couple of board books covering adoption. They're not Russian specific, but the reading level is low enough for a toddler and they will serve the purpose of bringing adoption language into our home:



What's interesting is on the same day I had ordered these, Doug brings home these books he bought from the salesman at his school:


These are the cutest touch and feel books by Make Believe Books! They are our first official "boy" gender purchases. Of course, Doug brings them home under the pretense that the girls need to know about the machinery their Papa drives, but really???? They are 6 and 4...he's had more than enough time to get some books with a backhoe and front loaders in them...(If you ask me, I think my husband is getting a bit excited about a son coming into our home!)

3 comments:

  1. Aw, they are great books! I'm going to go on to amazon and add them on my wish list. :) I just ordered "Mishka" A Russian Adoption Story And I received "The Red Thread" as a gift- LOVE THEM BOTH!!! :) I'm going to blog about them soon- first week of school, and our Beef and Beer fundraiser is tomorrow- our hands are full!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just randomly want to say that my 4yr old, adopted at three, just totally went for choco for about six months. We didn't even buy it for her, she found it at the bookstore and literally carried it around. It really spoke to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelly,
    Although I don't comment each time you post to your blog I read faithfully! :)

    I am so thrilled to see this journey unfolding for your precious family. You guys mean the world to us. Don't worry about the needs of your sweet boy. A party will be in full swing as soon as we get the word! Everyone can't wait to shower your family with blue, green, and red to counter act all that pink.

    (And I won't tell a soul if you find yourself putting your sweetie in a pink onsie under an outfit. All my boys have worn pink proudly! lol)

    ReplyDelete