When Love Takes You In

Monday, April 19, 2010

That Crazy Lady from Tennessee...

A lot of people have been asking me how the "crazy lady from Tennessee" is affecting our adoption. As of this morning, here's what I know: everything adoption is as confusing as me trying to give directions in my new found Russian language. News reports seems to be contradicting. Some MOE ministers are reporting that adoptions have halted--other ministers are saying adoptions have only slowed; still others are saying that no new adoptions are taking place--does that mean no new referrals? or no new court dates? or no new dossiers being accepted? The US State Department has said that adoptions are still progressing, and I know of a few families who are in Russia right now with court dates, US embassy appointments, etc. so that is true. Why the conflicting reports? Beats me! Maybe it is to "save face" in the Russian press. The US and Russia were to meet Monday to iron out the adoption issues, but the volcanic ash has the US delegation held up in Canada. Until the airways are opened up in Eastern Europe, I'm sure that meeting will be on hold. Our agency let us know last week that they had spoken with the Russian director in their St. Petersburg office, and she had not been informed of any adoption suspensions. She seems to think that adoptions will probably not be suspended, but there will probably be more paperwork for PAPs and probably stiffer post placement stipulations.

What's not mud: "We walk by faith, not by sight." 2 Corinthians 5:7. I am not moved by what I see. I am not moved by what I feel. I am only moved by what I believe. One way or another, we will be bringing home a little boy. "Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful." Hebrews 10:23.

On a side note, that little "do over" home study agency paper was at $80 piece of paper! $18 for the express mail to the courier; $28 for the courier service (we had to pay for an extra 10 minutes as there was a line at the SOS) and $34 for FedEx to Wyoming. Apparently, FedEx said my shipment weighed too much to be counted as an envelope??? Did the SOS apostille it with a hunk of iron or something? Since I actually didn't see the paper or actually mail it myself, I don't feel comfortable trying to refute it with FedEx. I just find it interesting that my one piece of paper cost more to ship than my 37 sheets for our mini dossier. Frustrating, but I also realize that all the PAPs caught in the middle of this adoption mess--waiting for a court date or trying to navigate the whole volcano episode-- would gladly pay three times that for a piece of paper in order to hear today that all adoption issues have been resolved, and they will be bringing their little ones home as originally scheduled.

2 comments:

  1. I know insane right! We have our Dossier 1 ready to go and get Apostilled, but we are waiting until we hear the news of whether or not the suspension is going to happen. As soon as we know, we are off to Topeka for Apostille, and then we are shipping it off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are in the same exact situation right now too! We are actually going to Trenton (we are in NJ) on Monday/Tuesday to get all of our NJ paperwork apostilled. The rest of our mini dossier needs to be apostilled in Harrisburg, PA b/c our agency is in PA. After they are done getting their paperwork apostilled, then we are ready to! I wonder if all three of us (Denson's too!) will meet up someday in Russia!

    I wanted to thank you for your encouraging scripture. We are holding onto our faith as well. We truly believe God has called us to Russia, so we are sticking this out.

    May God bless you as you wait for your son!

    ReplyDelete