When Love Takes You In

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Non-Adoptive Musings

I really like the part of the country I live in...it's very conservative, people will still stop and help a girl change her tire, we wave to cars we meet, and when we have a pretty day in the spring, it can't be beat. Those days, unfortunately, are rare for us in the Texas Panhandle. Today the wind is gusting close to 50 mph--and unfortunately, that is NOT rare for us in the spring. (sigh) Some people say our seasons go from winter to dirt to summer. I would have to agree with that. I get a kick out of people like Jim Cantore from the Weather Channel when he's covering a hurricane. Here he is standing at the sea wall, gripping his microphone like nobody's tomorrow, and saying,"Man, the wind is really starting to pick up here. I am having a hard time standing in this wind. We're now clocking sustained winds of close to 30 mph. If you're out and about, please watch out for flying debris." This 200lb guy is leaning into the wind for all its worth and can hardly keep his feet together. All I can say is he wouldn't last 10 minutes out here. If I stayed inside when the wind was blowing, I would never get anything done. When Annsley was a baby, we'd take a stroller walk as long as the wind was not over 25 mph--that was my limit on getting a infant out in the "elements." Waiting for a calm day during our springs would equate to waiting for Oprah to acknowledge my blog.

There is a difference in toilet paper. I think in the back of my mind I always knew that, but the realization was brought to my attention today. I'm cheap--frugal??--so I don't buy Charmin. I'm not so cheap that I buy Timber Cutter Toilet Paper either--you know, the kind you have to judo-chop to get it off the roll--but I had always thought the brand I did buy was soft. Not so. My mother brought us some left over Charmin toilet paper she had at her place. I haven't decided on the real meaning of that. Was it a hint or did she really not need it? It is a commodity that will eventually be used, so really how much is "too much of it" at your house? At any rate, it was free, and I like free, so I said thank you. I used it this morning. My tushi never had it so nice. I was thinking that perhaps it only mattered to adults, but Annsley, my 5 year old, remarked this morning, "Momma, why is the toilet paper so soft?" I still will not break down and buy Charmin, but from now on my tushi will lament when I walk down the toilet paper aisle and think of "what could have been" all these years.

Yeah, I know...give the girl a keyboard and access to cyberspace and she thinks she can write about anything!

2 comments:

  1. lol, that was an awesome post! I needed a good laugh as we sit and wait for our social worker to show up!

    ReplyDelete