When Love Takes You In

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Russian Adoptions in the News

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/apr/09/adoption-freeze-urged-after-boy-returned-russia/

I've been purposely avoiding writing about this subject until I felt like I could get my head wrapped around all of it. Really, I can't. There are so many sides to this story. My first reaction was initially, "How in the world could a mom do that?" Then, "Oh my goodness, this could affect me!" And then, "She and Grandma need to go to jail."

Today, I just feel an almost overwhelming sadness-- for this mother, her son, and the entire international adoptive community. I can only imagine what horrors she was facing--either imagined or real--to resort to this extreme behavior. Really, how desperate do you have to be to put your newly adopted 7 year old son on a plane by himself and basically say, "Sorry it didn't work out?" In no way what she did is excusable. I do not condone it one little bit. Her irresponsible behavior has caused turmoil and upheaval to all of us in the adoption arena--both with adoptive parents and also the hundreds of thousands of orphans in the Russian orphanages awaiting adoption. But I have to wonder was she really that desperate or just selfish? Did the orphanage not fully disclose the boy's mental condition? If it did, did she ignore the medical reports? Did she talk to others about her challenges? If she did, what did they say? If she didn't, why not? What help was offered? Did it seem like too big of a mountain to attempt to climb? Is 6 months home with an adoptive boy who has spent his entire life in an institution really enough time to work out any "problems?" I've read too many accounts about parents dealing with RAD--these parents are bona fide heroes as far as I'm concerned. What part of adoption did she think was "temporary?" Do a study on adoption from a Biblical perspective. That tie was as strong if not stronger than a biological son or daughter.

Russia is calling for a freeze on American adoptions. We, however, are going ahead with all things adoption, because like the 5 wise virgins from Mathew 25, we want to be ready when our name is called. God called us to this adoption; we know in our hearts we are to adopt a little boy, and these mountains will melt like wax (Psalm 97:5)--not because we are special, but because we have a shield of faith around us built upon Mark 11: 23-24: "For whoever says to this mountain, be removed and be cast in the sea, and does not doubt in his heart, but believes the things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says. Therefore, I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them."

Please pray for this mother and her grandmother, even though it may be difficult to do that. Pray that the American families will have favor with the Russian officials to continue adoptions without stopping and without experiencing repercussions from this incident. Please pray for peace for the families who are in the middle of their court date or waiting for their court date. I can't imagine the turmoil that they may be feeling now after meeting their son or daughter and talking and holding him or her. Please pray for a quick resolve to this issue for WACAP, the agency that has been suspended (and one of the better ones--especially in regards to post placement help from what I can tell), as all of their families are now in limbo. Pray that Russia will have a complete turn around and make a priority the children's welfare and care in their orphanages. Finally, pray for this little boy who was rejected yet again by someone who was suppose to care and love and nurture him.

Since we are carrying on as usual, I must tell you I have my Corn Huskers lotion bought and will be using it daily until our fingerprint appointment Tuesday. I've never used this stuff before, but it looks like some kind of concoction dating back to the 1860s. I've read suggestions to use this to make sure you get good fingerprints so that they don't have to be redone. Should I sleep with socks on my hands?

No comments:

Post a Comment