Our translator called last night; our little boy is still sick and we don't get to see him again...maybe Friday. (sigh) It's hard to understand that he is not officially ours until the 10 day wait is over, so nobody cares that we want to see him...It's a balmy 19 degrees this afternoon, and it has snowed all morning long. It's really an amazing thing walking around here. Just about daily there is at least a dusting of snow during the night. You walk on top of several inches of ice, but it's really not that slippery because there is always snow powder on top of it.
We walked several blocks down from our apartment and found what would be considered "main street" area. The city plays music over loud speakers in this part of town. We heard the theme from Dr. Zhivago (how appropriate)! They have some serious decorative lighting going on over the streets there. I don't know if it's lit up all year round at night or it's just left over from the holiday (they still have their huge city Christmas tree up). We only get out once a day, and trying to spread to fun out over 10 days, we've been limiting our "sightseeing" to just a little each day. Sometimes, it's just to a restuarant for lunch and the grocery store for our daily supply of bottled water. (Yesterday we did a very unRussian thing and bought 2 big jugs of water...oh--living on the edge!:) I've finally been able to figure out how "still" is spelled in Russian; they seem to really like sparkling water over here. There is a lot of it; I have, by mistaken, chosen that bottle, and when I was brushing my teeth I looked like a rabid dog before I was finished.
I've been amazed at the ratio of Mercedes, Lexus, Land Rovers over here. Either free enterprise is doing rather well over here (and I think it is) or the prices aren't eaten up in tarriffs, but really, you see them everywhere--along with the 1960s Beetle Bug vans, old army Mash looking trucks and Ford looking Pintos of course. The cars park however. I don't think they have painted lanes for cars to park; some are parked parallel; others are parked at a 90 degree angle right next to them. Some park on the sidewalk. (More than you would think--it's not an isolated incident!) I'll leave you with a photo from today: (well, maybe not...Blogger and our internet aren't cooperating right now.)
A soft re-entry
7 years ago


We hope your little one feels better and you are all enjoying each other soon. Like the bit about brushing your teeth with sparkling water! :)
ReplyDeleteStay warm!
Hope you get to visit your little one soon!
ReplyDeleteHoping you get to love on your sweet boy SOON! I saw your mom last night at church. I need to email you guys. We went Sunday and then again Wednesday night. Saw the girls and loved on them for a minute.
ReplyDeleteI loved the trees made out of tubing and then with Christmas like lights all over them. . .and have you wondered about those loud speakers??? Really, what is up with that?? We had a lot of disco music. . .my theory is that they were used at one time for purposes we Westerners would abhor!
ReplyDeleteHope you get to see you baby boy soon!!
Just caught up on all your posts. Hope you get to see Baby Rawlins soon. We love you guys! Take care and stay warm!
ReplyDeleteHi There...I remember with one of our babies we ask to speak with the doctor. They were courteous to allow us to do that. My husband ask if the doctor would allow us to purchase an antibiotic she could suggest for our little girl. It was broad spectrum (amoxicillin) which surprised us. She wrote it on paper and we took it to the pharmacy. No problem. Our daughter was well quickly and ready to travel. Of course, they may already be giving him medication??? Just a thought....blessings and praying you see him soon! Trisha (mom2R10)
ReplyDelete