The "new" of Krasnoyarsk has faded. The days are getting really long. We've started to adjust to the time change, and we're able to sleep to around 7:00 in the mornings now. We'd probably sleep longer, but the workers start scraping and shoveling the ice then, and it is quite loud. They use shovels made entirely out of wood. I have a picture, but our 3G internet (I'm starting to think it may by a lower case g...) doesn't have enough get up and go to post pictures any time except Sunday mornings. There are no blizzards around here. It is too cold to snow very much. They get light dustings quite often, but that is about it. Our American friends said they will get a big snow at the beginning of winter and again near spring when the temps start to stay around only freezing. So, they workers actually sweep the snow off the sidewalks with these witch's brooms or scrap the packed snow which turns to ice with their shovels.
The excitement around here is enough to set my hair on fire. Our typical routine consists of getting up, fixing our instant coffee (thank the Lord I brought powdered creamer from home), and reading some. We shower and then wait for Lena to call about 9:45 to say that she is downstairs waiting for us. We head to the orphanage and usually get back around 12:30 or so. Lena drops us off somewhere, we eat lunch, and usually just go to the grocery store to grab water and stuff to munch on, and then head back "home." We use the afternoon to read, email, blog. We usually eat supper around 6:00 or so (instant soups, spaghetti, etc) and about 7:00 we begin watching a DVD we brought from home. We've watched everything we've brought, so we are now on reruns. We Skype our girls either in the morning or evening--whenever we have the best internet connection. We then are off to our bed in the town of Bedrock. Did I mention everything in our apartment is Flintstone quality? My rear is numb from sitting in our chairs; our bed/pillows are made from remenants of cement. Surely our Marriott hotel in Moscow will have big fluffy pillows and comfortable chairs. And that folks, is about as exciting as it gets around here. Doug thinks this reminds him of college. I think it could be worse. I am so grateful of our new American friends who got us out of this monotony for 3 days this past week. I will say though that as bored as we are and as much as I miss my girls, I am thankful that we have been here. Our little boy is getting used to us before he is turned loose with us, and I can't imagine trying to deal with the jet lag associated with a 13 hour time difference and handling him at the same time.
I was getting tired of waiting on Doug to get dressed this morning...he's worse than a girl sometimes, and he looked at me and said, "We're in Siberia. Does 10 minutes really matter?" Point taken my dear.
It is freezing cold here today. The cold from Moscow has finally arrived, but today called for shopping as we don't have many free days left. We went back to the children's clothing store and got our girls some beautiful knit hats. We then headed for the ice slides. I have a picture of Doug going down it, but it's not Sunday, so you can't see a picture of it yet...By now my fingers are so frozen they are throbbing in pain, so we go into our favorite bar/restaurant to eat lunch. Our next stop is the souvinier shop. We realize we got taken big time on our first trip when we bought some stuff at the airport--it was like paying $10 for a hotdog at a ball park.
Saturday is the big day! I can't tell if the judge counted the weekends in our 10 days or not. Do they count the day of court as Day 1 or not? Do they count "pick up" day as day 10? The Krasnoyarsk court system doesn't have a suggestion box, but if it did, I would suggest moving their adoption court cases to Thursday or Friday--that way the parents wouldn't get caught on the weekend. Even though we pick him up on Saturday, we are in limbo around here until Monday when we can apply for his passport.
A soft re-entry
7 years ago


Sounds like each region handles the wait period its own way. In St. Pete, they do not include weekends in the calculation of the 10-day wait period (which makes for a rather drawn out wait period). Your region includes the weekends . . . lucky you!
ReplyDeleteLooking forward to Sunday, to see all of your pictures! :)
Well of course you're used to the time now!! You'll be heading back west again in a week! I think the judge does include the 10 day wait. We picked up Aidan on Friday evening--the orphanage was closed over the weekend. . .Then on Monday, we had his passport photo done, received his birth certificate Tuesday am and then the passport Tuesday pm and then headed back to Moscow on Wednesday am (early). We were wandering around Red Square in the afternoon. . .and yes, the bed, feather bed, comforter, pillows, etc. . .were awesome!!! You get a really good feel for how European Moscow is. . .after the Stalinistic sensation of krasnoayarsk!!! : ) Enjoy what time you have left. . .not much longer!
ReplyDeleteHi! So excited for you all. I can imagine that you're ready to just be home and have your family all in one place :).
ReplyDeleteMarriott in Moscow is AWESOME. Are you staying at the Grand? Though not quite as extreme, when we would go back to Moscow from Orekhovo Zuevo it was such a big difference. For us, it was the air conditioning and the soft beds (though I don't imagine you'll need the AC now ;) ).
I can't wait to see pictures! (I think our judge counted Saturdays but not Sundays in our wait.)
Like everyone else, I chuckle at your descriptions. I on the other hand am eager to return because I so badly want to pick up our little boy. But I am already envisioning my posts once there for 12 days. So excited for you.
ReplyDeleteWoohoo!! Tomorrow is the big day!! :) (okay, so I'm a little behind in my reading...sorry)
ReplyDelete