When Love Takes You In

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Is the Honeymoon Over??

I have been quite amazed at how well received the news of our adoption plans have gone over with our girls. Save for the first few weeks after our announcement (read January 7 post), Annsley and Kennedi have been rather positive and excited about the whole process--until today. Here was the conversation that occurred about 4:30PM while driving to ballet...

Kennedi (out of the blue): Mom, I want a baby girl buther.
Me: A baby girl brother? Honey, God only makes girls or boys. A brother is going to be a boy.
Kennedi (after a thoughtful silence): Oh.
Silence for about 1/2 block...
Annsley (under her breath and with a hint of disgust): And-baby-makes-5! [Where did that come from I ask??]
Me: 5 what?
Annsley: 5 in our family. You know you're going to have to clean up after 4 don't you?
Me (realizing where this conversation is headed): Clean up after 4? What do you mean by that?
Annsley: Me, Kennedi, Daddy AND Brother. After we play Tickle and make messes. Big messes! Think how hard it will be.
Kennedi: It's going to be hard.
Annsley: It's going to be a lot of work. I think you need to think about that. (Hammering her point home) A lot of work.
Kennedi: Yeah, you're goin to have to get out the bibs and everything!

What did they do? Call a super secret sisters only meeting under the bed the other night and start discussing the realities of the situation at hand? Is the fact that they are going to have to start sharing bedroom space getting to both of them? Have they come to the realization that Daddy only has 2 arms and with a 3rd addition somebody is going to be left to hoofing it and it's probably going to be the oldest one? Is her spot at the dinner table that sacred? Are they really that jealous over the stacking cups I bought for their brother? I feel like that Brady Bunch episode where Marcia moves her room into the attic, and the boys create a wave of nuisances for her hoping she'll realize that it is a big pain to have to walk up and down all those stairs. Surely my 6 and 4 year old can't intellectualize that thought process! Or can they???

Several weeks ago, Annsley made the comment at the table that babies are a lot of work. She was questioning how I was going to continue doing various things around the house with her baby brother around. I didn't think any thing about it at the time, but in retrospect obviously she's been stewing over that. And now she has Kennedi in cohorts with her.

3 comments:

  1. LOL!! I love how the minds of this age work. It is truly amazing. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. They will swoon when they meet him and fight to spend time with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe I shouldn't be laughing, but I am. :) This is really cute. I would actually take it as a good sign that they are thinking about the addition of their new brother. I would be more worried if they refused to talk about it or ignored what was happening. And you know what?!?! Little brothers are SUPPOSED to annoy and bother big sister! lol

    ReplyDelete