This post has absolutely nothing adoption related, but you'll either have to bear with me as I don't have a family blog or go ahead and back right on out of here and check back later...
My house smells so good (and no, it's not from my Merry Maids cleaning ability--trust me.) Our Christmas tree is up--a Balsam Fir--and it smells like Christmas! I had forgotten how much I love the smell of a real Christmas tree. The last big tree I put up was when Annsley was 6 months old; the following year I bought a 3 foot table topper instead. Doug calls me the Christmas Scrooge, but here's what I know. My little melancholy self couldn't handle keeping a toddler out of the tree all day long. My sister suggested that I decorate just the top half, but really, what's the point in that? It's gotta be somewhat aesthetically pleasing, and a semi bald tree doesn't quite cut the mustard. I'm not going to haul out all those ornaments and lights and spend my time and still end up with a butt ugly tree. So, I've been enjoying the little table topper tree for 4 years while Doug and Annsley have been pining for the real thing. My mother is totally aghast that I would succumb my children to such. I've reminded her and Doug that I let Annsley and Kennedi pick out the star and tiny ornaments that went on it. (That didn't get me in my mother's good graces either--only the roll of her eyes.) Kennedi hasn't really known the difference, and quite frankly, she is the reason why we didn't get the "big" one last year. (Those of you who know my daughter can understand!) Before Thanksgiving Annsley begged to have a real tree, "Not one that goes on top of the TV, Mom." She also requested one that would touch the ceiling. OK, so now I feel guilty about having deprived my children, so I agree to the "big" tree this year. On the way to the tree lot yesterday, I'm asking Doug if we need to get a tree bag to dispose of it, and Annsley starts crying. Poor thing doesn't realize that this tree isn't going up into the attic like the little table topper fella that she's known. (I know, this story gets more pathetic...) Guilt ridden Mommy picks out the type of tree (Balsam Fir--it's gotta smell good!) but against my better judgement, I let her and her daddy pick out which one. (Kennedi is just happy to be there.) Together they decide on the tallest one they can find that falls within our tree budget. It's a skinny tree but stands a proud 6 1/2 feet tall!
Today was spent decorating it. My decorations are dated to say the least. It is a reminder of the 14 years of a childless marriage in which I had time to sit in the living room floor and create bow after bow after bow. Nobody bothered me and when I didn't get finished I could leave my stuff out and it would be there tomorrow. (Even Doug didn't dare touch my sacred crafts!) Anyway, our tree screams "90s" and very adult like. I will have to invest in "fun" ornaments for next year's tree. Perhaps I'll venture out to the after Christmas sales this year.
Annsley was a great help in decorating today, and Kennedi reminded me of why I hadn't done this for the last 4 years. She got sent to her room three times before the tree got finished. (Yes, I know you grandmas are thinking that is a most unfair punishment on such a big day, but (a) she tried to plug in the lights and messing with the electric outlets is a big no no in our house (b) the play-dough gingerbread man ornament she made last year at an arts class now qualifies for a government subsidy as she ate one of its feet (c) she tried to perfect the art of the "jump, stretch, and hang your glass ornament without pulling the tree down" technique.)
We will have stockings up as well for the first time. (Again, see the above paragraph of why we haven't hung those things out before now.) I discovered today that Kennedi doesn't have a stocking of her own. Doug and I have the ones that we've had for umpteen years, Annsley was given a beautiful one when she was a baby, and our 19 year old cat has his. Poor Kennedi was asking where hers was. I didn't realize that she didn't have one, or I would not have opened that box. Annsley, digging the knife in a bit deeper, was saying, "Look how much sparkle mine has on it. Isn't it bea-u-ti-ful Daddy?" Big ole crocodile tears welled up in Kennedi's eyes, and I briefly considered taking down my mother of the year plaque off the wall. I told her that I would go out and get hers this afternoon. I vow to not ever go out shopping the weekend after Thanksgiving, but I sacrificed for my daughter. I even got shiny glitter and jewels to put on it. And, just to show Doug that I am NOT Scrooge, I bought a tiny stocking for our other cat. I even put a glitter glue "M" on it for Mickey. Yes, I think I should get a gold sticker for holiday cheer this year....
A soft re-entry
7 years ago


Love it!
ReplyDeleteNot even gonna comment...all I can say is I love you, my dear sister! My poor, deprived neices!
ReplyDelete