When Love Takes You In

Monday, August 30, 2010

August's Emotional Rollercoaster

Friday afternoon I received a call from our case worker. Surprise! She was forwarding a little boy's picture and medicals for us to consider. I was shocked to say the least because she had told me when we were at that "#1" spot she would let me know. Unfortunately, Doug and I have declined this little guy. Without going into details, he had some things in the medicals that made both of us very uncomfortable. When I was visiting with our case worker on Friday, I felt in my spirit that this wasn't our little boy. I prayed all afternoon without opening the email asking God to change my heart if this was just "cold feet!" When Doug finally got home that evening, we sent the girls into another room, prayed, and opened the email. He was such a cute little boy, but I knew as soon as I looked at his picture that this wasn't our son. We scanned through the translated medicals, and being the medical experts that we are, tried to make out some of the words using Doug's knowledge of the medical field from his Medical Terminology class from college 20 years ago. That wasn't happening! :) So coupled with the information that I could decipher (weight, head circumference, etc.) along with what our case worker had told us about this little boy, we knew couldn't accept him. So much so we didn't even consider forwarding anything to an IA doctor. When we finished the email reports, Doug looked at me and asked, "So what do you think?" I took a deep breath and told him I didn't think he was the one for us. With relief all over his face, he said, "That's what I was thinking too." I felt peace in that decision, but it was glazed with guilt as well.

I talked to our case worker this morning, and let her know that we weren't going to pursue this little boy. That was such a hard decision, even though I know it was the right one. There isn't a worst feeling in the world knowing that you have the power to change this little boy's life but realizing not only your limitations but knowing your decision affects the livelihood of two little girls already living at your house, and having to say "no." It highlighted the necessity of praying and seeking God throughout this entire process and being willing to quicken yourself to His small, still voice in our lives.

So, where do we go from here? Our case worker said we were still #4, maybe #3 on the list, and we'd just wait as we had been. The good news is I've crossed enough off my "Russia To-Do" list that I wouldn't have totally freaked out if this had been our boy--still have to work to do though--don't get me wrong!

Please pray that a waiting family will be found soon for this little boy--that he will be a perfect fit for their family, and he will soon be smothered in more love and affection than he knows what to do with. Please continue to pray for the little boy in Russia who God has destined to be a part of our family, the orphanage workers, our agency, and that Americans will continue to have favor with Russia.

9 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear that he wasn't "yours," but God will send the right little boy your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alot of us out there have been through this, it is very very difficult and emotional to turn down a referral but know in your hearts you made the right decision and the little guy you are waiting for is just making you wait a little while longer until he is ready to show his face!! :)Believe me, he will be worth the wait and when you see his face, you will know "this is the one for our family"! Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Doug and Shelly,
    God knows that must have been a really hard decision!! But, from experience, when the right child comes along, you will know. Pat and I connected and felt like parents to Aidan before we even saw his pictures. We didn't even know he was a "he" until the next day! He was truly born in my heart the day I heard about him. . .God bless and know that it will happen when it is supposed to happened. It's all in God's timing!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everyone here. You will know when it's the right child. From my experience when we received the referral we just knew it right away and than when we went on our first trip to see her and finally held her in our arms she was our daughter.I do think its with all God's timing. We actually went to see her for the first time on our anniversary and it was just perfect. Your perfect time will come and you will know that it was meant to be this way and that is the perfect child to complete your family.hang in there;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Shelly! How hard that must have been! But God knows the plans He has for that little boy too, and they are GOOD. I can't imagine having to say no to a precious little boy, but at the same time, you have to know that trusting God with that baby is best for all of you, including him. I'll keep praying that the next e-mail will contain the picture of YOUR LITTLE BOY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post is all too familiar. The last paragraph on our blog post today may help you think of this situation in a new light. The only thing I am sure of during this process is that God's timing will be perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you will know in your heart the minute you see the child that it is the right one for your family....have faith! It is odd, but God somehow does match the right child with the right family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hang in there ~ I echo what everyone else has said; I'm sorry that this happened but your heart will know your child.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh been there, done that, it is very difficult. We happenened to turn down a referral and then we were matched up with our perfect angel. God is good, and His grace is there for you. We learned to give everything up to Him. I wanted the control in my hands, but when I realized I couldn't do anything with out Him, everything rolled into place. Keep praying and God will provide your son to you at the exact time He meant for you to be his.

    ReplyDelete