When Love Takes You In

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Disposable Camera Woes

On our first trip, we left a disposable camera with the orphanage.  I was fully expecting to have 27 pictures taken during the weeks we were gone.  I did not leave instructions on how to operate the camera.  I had read so many accounts of where everybody knew how to run the camera that it was not needed.  (**Sigh**) Instructions in Russian ARE needed.  I got two.  Only two.  When they gave us the camera back on trip #2, I noticed the camera had not been advanced after the last picture.  Then I looked at the pictures remaining, and saw 25.  I was really disappointed and frustrated with my decision.  I had so much to do before we left, that I didn't put "disposable camera instructions" on my list.   We didn't get them developed until this last week after Annsley used up the rest of the exposures.  But, we do have two.  Better than nothing.  He's sitting in some kind of reclining chair strapped in with one of his "buddies" sitting next to him in a similar chair.   Really, a sad telling of the life of existence for those children in the orphanages. Always strapped in, always in some type of tight quarters of containment.

So, my advice to those of you out there planning to leave a camera:  leave it with instructions! 

3 comments:

  1. Oh that totally stinks, but I guess two is better then zero...

    We didn't leave instructions just held the camera up in a picture taking position and said please. They said "da" and we wished for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We weren't allowed to leave a camera at all so I guess I would take the two! We didn't even get back the blanket and photo album that I made and left for him. I was really disappointed in that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry that happened to you! We too had a similar situation. I think we got one picture! We were, however, fortunate to have a facilitator/translator who visited often and took pictures for us every 6 weeks or so, then emailed them to us!

    ReplyDelete