When Love Takes You In

Thursday, December 15, 2011

And WHO Are YOU??

One year ago today, we met Andrei for the first time.  I'm having a hard time realizing that it was a year ago.  It seems like just last month!  Doug has been acutely aware of the "anniversary."  It's been like a countdown all week every time he looks at the calendar.  "Can you believe we were on our way to the airport this day??"  "Can you believe we were in Russia....?" and so forth.  He came home last night and said, "I heard that song." [What follows is our captivating conversation.]

Me:  "What song?"
Doug: (in a tone that says I should know what he's talking about.) "That song."
Me:  (This is getting nowhere.)  "Song about what???"
Doug:  "That song that I always think about Andrei when I hear it.  You know...the one from Russia."
Me:  (Still needing a bit more information to get myself up to speed...)  "The maddening disco tech beat?  The Veggie Tale song?  Celebrate Me Home?"  (I'm trying to list as many songs that we heard while in Russia as I can.)
Doug:  "Yes." 
Me:  (It's clear that he has NO earthly idea what the song is called--but I'm supposed to know.)  Then he says:
Doug:  "Today we saw Andrei for the first time didn't we?"
Me:  (Ah-ha! Now I know!)  "Celebrate Me Home."

I then remembered I had made a little video when we had returned home from our first trip.  We watched it almost nightly until trip 2.  I found it on the computer last night and watched it for the first time in a long time.  Much like that day in the orphanage, Doug started crying.  Then he started laughing.  "Now that we know him, I can see what he's thinking.  Like in that one..."Lady, get your hands off of me!!" 

So, here's that little video.  It was made about midnight shortly after returning from our first trip.  So coupled with our jet lag and my first attempt at using the movie maker on our computer, you'll have to excuse the fine cinematography skills. He was only 10 months old here!

4 comments:

  1. Shelly,

    You all were about three years behind us then in Krasnoyarks--we were there November 20-25, 2007 and then March 18-April 13, 2008. I have to tell you that in about a year, maybe two, you'll look at this video and, although you will recognize Andrei, he won't seem like the same child at all. I see things of Aidan from four years ago and think, "Is that really my baby???" It never seems like him as I know him now.

    Anytime you want to come out and spend a weekend in Williamsburg, let me know. You can fly into Dulles (we're 13 miles away) and then we'll hop in a car and drive down for a couple of days of intense historical adventures!!! I have a degree in History, so I could spend days and days there. . .if I just could!!

    Peace, and talk soon. Merry Christmas to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly,
    What a beautiful feeling. I love when I realize that we have approached a special day, and we get the chance to celebrate as a family.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  3. feel like talking sometime? email me ddenson@kc.rr.com

    Enjoy your christmas

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a year it's been! Would have loved to have met your little man before we moved. :-) Love to y'all and blessings in this New Year!

    ReplyDelete