When Love Takes You In

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Progress?

I thought I was kicking my "to do" list in the rear this morning, and then I turned the page in my little notebook. It was a fleeting victory. All I can say absolutely without a doubt there is no way I could get everything ready for this trip if I had not gone ahead and finished or bought things earlier this summer and fall. The adapters, the universal power strip, the pictures taken early for the visas, the photo album I made to leave with the orphanage, and the list goes on. I am so thankful I did as much as I could early. Also, a note to PAPs out there...I just thought we were dropping money early on in our adoption journey. It is flying out the window now. It about takes my breath away--not because we weren't expecting it, but because of the huge chunks and how fast it's going. Just be prepared for that!

I am tired--very tired. I don't know if making the decision to travel in less than 8 days adds a new dynamic that given 14 days to travel doesn't have, but nevertheless I'm tired. My eyes have been burning for 6 days straight by 8:00 at night. Tonight I'm going to try out my new purchase from other day--Advil PM.

Everything is done except booking a room at DFW airport Sunday night. I spent today getting all my paperwork, notes, maps printed off the computer. I made a currency exchange rate chart so I'd know if I were being charged $400 for an apple at the local grocery store. I have an international calling card now just in case SKYPE is a bust.

Our visas arrived this morning! Not what I was expecting--my convict picture is not a part of my visa stamp--thank the Lord! Oh the horror of having to whip that out every time at customs. I'm now wondering if it's on a pin up wall at the Russian Consulate under the "Watch List." And no, I'm still not showing it to anyone. I have been extremely impressed with Travel Visa Pro. I have nothing to compare them to and maybe other companies give their customers a free ticket to Brazil for using them, but TVP sent our passports back in these really nice plastic passport covers. I also have a coupon for $10 off next time I use them AND I have a coupon for some lucky recipient for $15 off each visa for referring you to them. If you're interested in it, let me know. First come, first serve. I'll put it in the mail to you tomorrow if you leave your address. After tomorrow, I'm not promising anything.

On the agenda tomorrow: pick up chocolates, buy a warm winter hat, pick up some snacks to take on our trip, and grocery shop for the grandmas who are keeping our girls. I still have not thought about packing and cleaning my house. Maybe tomorrow night? Nothing like living on the edge.

4 comments:

  1. I recommend not purchasing apples at the grocery store...unless you're going to wash them with your bottled water. We stayed clear of the water and uncooked fruits and veggies so to avoid any intestinal issues. At first I thought nah it will be fine. After smelling the water in our hotel I knew the recommendations were right. Not that your post actually had anything to do with water....oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly:

    How I enjoy your posts! It seems we are moving in tandem with each other as we prepare for our trips. I also am using today for last minute items (snacks for trip, warmer hats, dvd movies to watch on laptop during down time). Soon we will be meeting our little ones - isn't this exciting!? Life is awesome.

    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelly, I have a very good, reasonably priced housekeeper I can refer you to, if you want one more thing to not have to do. She only charged me $45 for my 1500 sq. ft. house. That's a small price to pay to not have to add housecleaning into your toxic mix right now. E-mail me if you want her number.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So excited for your referral. Praying for a safe trip for you both. Remember to breathe!

    ReplyDelete