When Love Takes You In

Monday, December 13, 2010

Hello From JFK!

It has been a whirlwind the last few days. I didn't get everything on my list completed like I wanted, and truly I felt like a chicken with my head cut off. Quite frankly, it was a relief to be in the car leaving. Annsley cried when we left and Kennedi, I think, was rather oblivious to what was fixing to happen. She's really the one we're concerned about as she gets to be a momma's girl when she gets tired, but we've asked God to fill our girls with peace, and we know they'll both be OK. It's the grandmas we're really concerned about!

We got to our Dallas hotel last night at midnight, got up at 4:00, and still missed the 5:00 shuttle. The hotel guy was really nice and called for another shuttle to come pick us up. DFW was a madhouse to say the least. I guess there were tons of flights rerouted or cancelled because of the snow storm. We got to Newark at 11:00AM, caught a shuttle to JFK,grabbed some Asian food from a counter with two women who didn't speak any English, and waited for the Aeroflot counter to open.The terminal Aeroflot is located in is the same as China Air, Japan Airline, Turkish Air, and "if you can pronounce it you can go there" Air. Doug and I are like the Clampets going to Europe--we are truly out of our Texas element. I feel like whipping out the BINGO game and playing "what language is this?" We'd clean house!

We don't take off until 7:00PM, so we wait some more. We arrive at Moscow tomorrow at 12:15PM and then have a nice little 9 hour layover in SVO airport. I haven't told Doug yet that we'll be on our own at the Moscow airport--why send the little boy into a fretting frenzy early? Out caseworker as well as several adoptive parents told me it was no big deal to navigate the Moscow Airport, so we--rather I--opted out of our agency sending someone to help us transfer. Our flight arrives and the leaves for Kras in the same terminal, so I think in 9 hours time I can find the connecting gate. I've got Krasnoyarsk spelled in Cyrillic just in case I can't find someone who knows English to take pity on us--it can't be that bad--right? Right? We leave Moscow at 9:15 Tuesday night and arrive in Krasnoyarsk at 6:00AM. I'm tired, ready to sleep, and feel like I'm getting jipped with my sleep with regard to the Krasnoyarsk flight with the 6 hour time difference. We're supposed to be picked up at Krasnoyarsk and then we'll head to MOE and then on to meet our little boy! The next time you hear from us we'll literally be half way around the world.

5 comments:

  1. Prayers for safe travels. Stay warm and have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! I know that JFK Aeroflot terminal/gate check! Whoohoo!!! So excited for you guys! And, we were just at the SVO airport for about 4 hours before our flight last Thursday! Some of the "kids" working at the food counters do understand a little bit of English! You will do fine! Can't wait to keep on reading!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping and praying for your safe travels!!! Enjoy it all as it will go by WAY too quickly!

    We navigated our way around St. Petes airport just fine.....surprisingly a lot of English in Russia. Hope you survive as well!

    Just breathe and soak it all up!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your traveling - sounds like you are well prepared! Can't wait to read about your little boy! Thinking of y'all...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to hear that your travels are moving along! Can't wait to hear once you meet your little boy! Safe Travels

    ReplyDelete