When Love Takes You In

Sunday, July 11, 2010

All Aboard!!


Continuing my quest to educate all of us about the beauty and awe of Russia, here is today's topic: The Trans-Siberian Railway.

Construction of the Trans-Siberian Railway began in 1891 and finished in 1905. The train carries passenger and cargo from Moscow to Vladivostock, a city along the Pacific Coast. Today, there are even trains covering parts of China and Eastern Europe. It is the longest continuest rail line on earth, nearly 6000 miles and covering nearly 1/3 of the Earth. It takes 7+ days to ride from Moscow to Vladivostock.

OK, you know I had nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon when I just spent 15 minutes booking my imaginary railway tickets online. To travel one way (in plain Jane style) in August from Moscow to Vlad, with a Class 2 ticket will cost approximately $550. From what I've read, if you want a private shower, you need to go 1st class, and those tickets are currently sold out. (Just thought I'd throw that in in case anyone out there reading this and was thinking about booking their vacay in the next month or so...) Also, from what I've read (I have no first hand knowledge of any of this so take it all with a grain of salt) 1st class usually results in more English speaking people, so you would want that ticket if you are the sappy talker type. For the back packers out there, you will find those individuals usually settling for 2nd or 3rd class. They have a 4th class ticket, but I don't know if that just gets you a ride strapped to the outside of the kitchen car, giving the "scenic tour" its literal meaning, but it is there for a reduced price nevertheless.


Do you feel a game show calling your name yet?

1 comment:

  1. Shelly,
    You left a comment on our blog, but I don't have an email address to reply to you. :o) If you send me a message at jnhoverstreet@yahoo.com I will be happy to tell you a little bit more about our album.

    ReplyDelete