When Love Takes You In

Monday, May 24, 2010

Luv'n 2 girls and a little boy!

Our tax return is back to us, copied, and ready for the dossier. So much for getting it to the accountant in February...

I think one of my favorite things in the world is listening to my two girls playing together (when they are not fighting of course!). This morning they were playing "ballet." Annsley was showing Kennedi all the ballet positions and saying "Good Job!" to her little sister. They played for literally 2 hours with this ballet thing--all stemming from a book Annsley has been reading about the dance. Anytime they play together, Annsley is the teacher or leader or rather BOSS, and Kennedi is whatever her big sister wants her to be, a poor little puppy grateful for the crumbs!

I've often read where some parents have concerns about being able to love an adoptive child as much as their biological children. Quite frankly, that has never entered my mind, mainly in part to Kennedi. Before I had two children, I would hear other parents say that they love all their children but they love them in different ways. In my "infinite wisdom" I would scoff at that notion thinking how unfair that really was, and thinking they must mean they love one child more than another--they are just not saying it. Well, now I know better. Annsley was my "book baby"--she did everything the baby books said she'd do, and she responded in the same ways the baby books said she would if I did this or that, etc. She is a child of order and rules--surprise will NOT rock in her world. I celebrate her independence and yet cringe at her matter of fact tell you like it is personality. We'll be working on people skills. I really think that if she were left by herself for the weekend, at 5 years old, she could manage the house--she probably could have at 3. Those of you who know her know that I speak truth! Kennedi, on the other hand, is her opposite. PARTY is her middle name. Should the rules change in mid stream, so much the better--surprise is good for the soul! Any time there is music playing with a strong beat, she's dancing. She colors on the walls and often drains me of energy before noon. Leave her in charge of your house if you want it burned down. But I love her spirit and her resilience to any negative and her natural ability to hug and give sloppy kisses, even after she's been disciplined. I love both of my girls, yet I love them in different ways. Because of the knowledge that this is possible, I know that I will love this little boy from a far off country who was birthed by someone else--I have no doubts or reservations.

Although I know Annsley and Kennedi don't truly understand what this adoption has in store for them, they have been going through their toys and books and marking things that they can give to their Baby Brother. They have done this for a month now, and completely on their own I might add. He will have quite a stash of chewed on board books passed down personally from Kennedi, and Annsley has any number of baby toys that haven't gotten put away that she has earmarked for him. Any time Kennedi comes across a "prospect", she asks, "Can I gi this to Baby Buther?" I love that God is preparing their hearts as well to welcome this new addition to our home!

4 comments:

  1. Your girls sound just precious! (And I just LOVE their names by the way!) I teach elementary school and I would have to agree that seeing things through the eyes of children is such a beautiful thing! Praying for your sweet family and the baby boy waiting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your girls are such a wonderful blessing to us....I love each of them for their differences as well. I'm so excited to meet your newest addition!! Love you all!!

    ~r

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have recently stumbled across your blog. Like you, my husband and I have two biological children. Last year we adopted Blake from Vladivostock, Russia and are in the process of adopting one last time to complete our family. My husband and I had several late night conversations about loving Blake as much as Brady and Madison. While we knew things would be ‘alright’ we didn’t know if it was truly possible to love another child as much as we love the first two. God surprised us in His usual way. We have such an intense love for Blake and adore him. And as you have said it is amazing at how different the love is for all three of our children. It is equally intense but unique to each child. I look forward to following your family’s journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet that they're already preparing for your baby boy! I have been reading your blog for a while now, but I don't think I've ever commented. I am jealous of you though; I've always wanted to adopt, and Dave's not interested. I pray all goes well for you!

    ReplyDelete