When Love Takes You In

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Europe Section???

OK, so I live in this "small" West Texas town--small by Austin or St. Louis standards--large by Waka or Spearman standards--and our paper has sections such as Lifestyles, Business, Classifieds (which gets its own section only on Sunday), Sports, and Entertainment. Our "World" section covers usually half a page on page 2.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/06/world/europe/06adopt.html
Here is an article from the New York Times about the status of Russian adoptions. For those of you who have better things to do than read it, it basically says that the head guy at MOE has never received word to suspend adoptions and that authority can only come from Medeved or Parliment and neither has addressed that. YEAH! He also makes an interesting statement at the end of the article (you'll have to read it to find out what that is!) For those of you who pull up the article, you will notice that this is found in the Europe section. Europe section??? Carrying that thought, that means there must be an Asian section, a South American section, and a Middle East section among others! That is so "foreign" to me! (I'm riding high today. I created a pun without even trying! Whoo Hoo! Of course, the other part of me is rolling her eyes and saying, "What a Dweeb!")

It's just a bit out of my realm of comprehension--kinda like thinking there are other galaxies out there. My eyes glaze over when Doug starts in on that. I'll be the first to admit, science--physics--etc. isn't my thing. I'm an "arts" kinda girl. Just tell me the button to push to make it work and we'll call it good, I say. My physics teacher in high school had us memorize how a refrigerator works. Something about condensation and currents--don't really remember the details, can you tell? All I know is if my refrigerator quits working, I call Doug, my very own quite handy handyman. If he can't fix it (which is rare), he pretends he can, and then he calls someone who really can. Excuse the digression.

When we were interviewing adoption agencies, one told us we would need to be able to tell the judge where the closest Russian Orthodox church was to us if the question came up. Well, that would be Oklahoma City--4 hours away at the St. Benedict Russian Orthodox Church. Yeah, we live in the Boonies. (I know, I know... by some people's standards, we are in a thriving metropolis!) I can't even get half the stuff Rachel Ray cooks with at my grocery store even though she says I can, so please bare with me as I grapple with the knowledge that some of you live in a place with enough demand to have a section of your paper devoted to only one part of the world.

2 comments:

  1. That's surely the best (most positive) article so far. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete