If you haven't heard, Russia is very close to coming to an agreement to ban US citizens from adopting in their country. --Kids like Andrei--and those I've "met" through others' blogs: Aidan, Dasha, Hayden, Oliver, Dima, Clara Jane, and so many others. The fact that Russian officials are so much more interested in making a political statement rather than looking out for the well being of their orphans blows me away. I don't understand that logic. Even if I hadn't adopted, I still wouldn't have understood it. The only difference would be I wouldn't have known.
Here is a brief run down: On December 20, 2012, I Alexander D'Jamoos created Voice of the Child petition in response to legislation in Russia which would end intercountry adoption and take away the chance that many children might have to be adopted by US citizens. For those unfamiliar with what is happeneing in Russia, On December 21, 2012, Russia's legislature overwhelming supported the proposed Federal Law No 186614-6, also known as the Dima Yakovlev Law, which includes dissolving the current Bi-lateral Agreement on Adoption and bans the adoption of Russian children by US Citizens. The proposed Russian law contains other provisions that bar travel and the running of NGOs by US citizens. Dima Yakovlev Law was written in retaliatory response to the U.S. passage of the Sergei Magnitsky Rule of Law Accountability Act, a bill that imposes sanctions against Russian officials perceived by the U.S. to be guilty of human rights violations in Russia.
Alexander D'Jamoos is a Russian adoptee who is currently a sophomore at the University of Texas in Austin. Please take a few moments to read his petition and consider signing it in support of adoptions from Russia. Click HERE to go to the petition.
A soft re-entry
7 years ago


Breaks my heart. . .can't even begin to imagine my life without my Aidan! And I know it's because God pushed us to go to Russia to get him. I guess all we can do is pray.
ReplyDeletePeace and Merry Christmas to you all.