Well, is it? The reason I'm asking is Andrei is using Kennedi's old car seat. It has a leopard print cover. I kept wondering why everyone was asking me if I wanted a new cover for it. I kept saying, "no." I mean, it is in great shape. Why would I want to foolishly spend money that doesn't have to be spent. This morning Annsley sees her old car seat in the barn and says to me, "Mom, I think we need to start using mine. It looks more boyish." It was at that moment that I realized what everyone was trying to say to me but I was in La-La Land. I asked her, "You think leopard is for a girl only?" My husband, who overheard the conversation, said loudly, "Uhhh...YEAH!" Oh jeez....if I keep him in the leopard print, will it mar him for life? I really, really like it....
Andrei is suddenly big into copy-cat. We were all eating supper the other evening, and Doug was sitting at the table with his hand on his chin listening to Annsley tell a story, and we look over at Andrei. He has his elbow in the middle of his lovely Gerber Pasta Pick-ups and his food infested hand is resting on his chin watching his daddy. Oh I wish I had had my camera ready! At some point during the meal, Kennedi starts clapping with her hands over her head. Andrei follows in suit. This morning he was out on the porch, and Kennedi yells loudly, "Mo-o-o-o-o-m--a-a-a-a-a!" Andrei, in that loud loud voice of his, copies her. (And yes, he really said, "Mom!")
He loves it when you praise him. I often wonder how often he heard praise in the orphanage. One place it has a big pay off is in the high chair. He devours the food he likes first, and then his enthusiasm waffles at the veggies or non-banana fruit. I've learned that I can feed him one piece, say "Yeah Andrei!" and clap, and then he will pick up the food on his own and feed himself it. I say, "Yeah Andrei!" and clap again. By the third bite he is clapping for himself when he puts a piece in his mouth. And he continues to clap for himself until everything is gone. Hilarious!
He has started this reclining thing when you're on the floor. He will push himself up against you and sit or stand next to you. I mean really push. It's like he's trying to make himself stick on you like Silly Putty. If he were any heavier and I any lighter I'd topple over like a bowling pin. What is he doing??? I think we're also starting to experience the separation anxiety phase. He's getting to be that age, and it has really taken a hold of him the last few days. All of a sudden I can't go to the bathroom without him having a break down. Stepping over the gate to get something cooked in the kitchen brings tears. Putting him down on the floor and walking away is murder. I suppose that is all good and well in the adoption world, HOWEVER, I find myself trying desperately not to roll my eyes in exasperation. This too shall pass....this too shall pass... this too shall pass...
As I've mentioned before, the boy is loud. This high volume primal grunting comes with everything he does. At the time of this writing, he is currently in the living room doing his "business" in his diaper. He is grunting so loudly that people would have to turn down their hearing aids if they were in the vicinity of my house. And no, he's not constipated--trust me on that one. I finally got his name letters up in his room, and he now points to them and thunders something about them daily. He grabs his wrist when I change his diaper, and he blows his own raspberries on it. I consider it a good day if I can go all day and not pick up something saliva ladened.
In adoption news our homestudy agency has contacted us about setting up an appointment this summer for our first post placement visit! Yikes! Time is flying! By the way, his name is pronounced Aun-dray. We never thought in a million years that people wouldn't know how to pronounce his name by the "common spellin" we used. So much for that thought... :)
A soft re-entry
7 years ago


My hubby would say yes, it is girly, but my philosophy is hey it still works, who cares! Glad he is getting such a good personality.
ReplyDeleteI say leave it leopard. If anything it will be a funny story when he is older.
ReplyDeleteI love these sweet updates! I don't think leopard print is too girly to use for a car seat. Now, if you had him in a leopard print sweater...I'd probably ask you if you wanted me to get him a new one. ;)
ReplyDelete