When Love Takes You In

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

There's puke, and then there's puke...

Again, I apologize for the few and far between posts since we've gotten home. I set up this blog to document our adoption journey, and I'm not sure at what point I need to bring it to a close. I do have one topic I want to discuss before I venture on, but I'm not ready to go there just yet. So, until then, you'll have to labor through my what has become once a week updates!:)

I'm not sure what all the hitting is about with these orphanage kids, but Andrei is doing plenty of it himself. Did he get away with it in the orphanage because he does it too often and laughs too much to think he was ever "repriminded." It is definitely one of the irritating moments we're having at our house lately.

My family has always been so well and healthy. Since we've been home from Russia, Annsley threw up first; a few days later, Kennedi blessed us with it. By the way, it was the first time in her entire life that she has EVER thrown up. I got the 24 hour stomach virus the next day--threw up no less than 20 times. And Doug, not to be left out, came up with it the day after me with the (and I quote) 'high trots and thin scatters...' Andrei voted no way and never caught it--thank the Lord! Kennedi currently is taking antibiotics for her sore throat, and Annsley is taking the same for her severe sinus infection. It is the first time in 3 years that she has been to our pediatrician for being sick. She has thrown up three times in the last four days as well. Andrei has seen our pediatrician 3 times in less than a month. He is also on his second round of antibiotics for this severe lung infection that our pediatrician feels certain he had while in Russia. One week after we got home, he developed this cough that sounded like some 90 year old man that had spent his entire life smoking 3 packs of cigarettes a day. He could hardly catch his breath and was laboring to breath. It was so severe that the receptionist at our pediatrician got our doctor out of another exam room to look at him immediately. Round #1 of antibiotics and the sacred breathing treatment machine--always fun for the one year old in your life. Our pediatrician thought that he'd had this "problem" quite a bit in his little life as he was "too comfortable" with his rapid breathing she said. This past Saturday, he was back to the old man coughing and the breathing treatments weren't making a bit of difference, so Doug took him in Saturday morning. Round #2 on major high powered antibiotics now and we have an agressive plan of action to get rid of this thing once and for all. He was coughing so much Saturday night that he threw up all over his bed. He never cried. We wouldn't have even known about it but we went into his room to give him a breathing treatment. He's better now, but I am so tired of cleaning up vomit. Annsley threw up just this morning all over the bathroom rug. I should buy stock in Tide. Don't come to my house these days. It stinks here--literally and figuratively.


On a positive though, Andrei has gained nearly 2 pounds in a month--and that is despite being sick. Go Big Boy! His favorite game in to crawl back and forth over your legs when you are sitting on the ground. He loves to play "tickle" with his daddy. And he loves baths. His father lets him splash, but I don't. In fact, we get out as soon as that starts. I'm sure he thinks I'm not the "fun" one, but it's just a tiny detail I'll have to live with. He's still not walking, but he is so proud of himself when he uses his "walker". He still clucks his tongue when he sees someone eating although it has slowed down tremendously from what he used to do. He grinds his little teeth though, and I still can't figure out what makes him do that...stress...tired....scared....just because....


Getting some Texas sun. (I think he's going to be putting his part Indian daddy under the bus with the suntans!)


Checking out the cat...he's still not too sure about this furry thing...


9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I hope you don't stop posting, I have enjoyed our "friendship" blogger style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness....hopefully everybody will be able to kick the sickness in the butt once and for all very soon! He is too stinking cute for words!!!! Hope all is well and I must say you have peaked my curiosity with the topic that you are not ready to discuss yet.

    I also hope you don't stop blogging. Chad and I were just talking about how we had the pleasure of you meeting you briefly in Moscow. He reminded me of just how sick I was and how it took everything I had to go that day to the Embassy. I remember telling him that after we met you how it was so nice to see friendly faces and to hear a familiar language...it felt like a piece of home. It made me feel better that day.I have really enjoyed reading about your journey and have greatly enjoyed our blogger friendship! You were the first blog that I ever followed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aidan grinds his teeth too! drives us nuts! It's become less over the years and now it mainly happens at night. . .breathing treatments: first winter home, every 4 hours for 6 weeks and then every 6 hours and then every 8, and so on. . .entire winter long. Aidan had RSV so bad and he was the same, didn't seem bothered at all! Second winter home we had some breathing treatments but not too bad. This year we had a couple of bouts with a cough during a cold but no breathing treatments at all!!! It does get better. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to learn you all have been so sick!

    And please don't apologize for slowing down on your posting. Those of us that have been through international adoption totally get how all of a sudden there doesn't seem to be enough time to blog. Still, I totally love your blog and have always enjoyed "checking in" to see how you all are doing.

    On the note of "reprimanding", for us it seems that if we tell Angelina NOT to do something, it ensures she will do it over, and over, and over, and over, and over and (you get the idea). For us, the solution was to totally ignore the behavior. As soon as she realized she wasn't getting a reaction from us, the behavior stops. Crazy munchkin!

    And oh my, your son is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shelly,
    We are basically tied with another couple. Our Dossier went in first by date, but since they were committed to siblings from the start they get first dibs. So a few months and we should be in Russia!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear of all your illness! I pray it goes away for GOOD! Very intrigued on your topic as well. So happy to see your little boy growing so fast! He is looking so SO handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sy is grinding as well. His teeth are sure to be a mess due to grinding and aggressive sucking on his fingers! Love your blog and enjoy the updates, even if only once a week. We will be heading home soon. Thanks for all your advice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope your family starts feeling better ASAP! Thanks for the update ~ Andrei is such a cutie and looks so happy!

    ReplyDelete