When Love Takes You In

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Smile for the Birdy!

After our case worker had suggested last month that we start looking into visas, I decided this week to get proactive about it and go ahead and have our photos taken. The more time we have to get these visas processed, the cheaper, so I'm thinking that if I already have the photos ready to go, I can overnight the paperwork immediately when the time comes and maybe save on some expedited fees, which equates to several hundreds of dollars saved. (All in a perfect world, right?)

Let me back up and tell you about my photo for my passport. Knowing that my passport was going to be good for 10 years or so, I wanted a good--no great--picture in there. I mean, there is nothing worse than taking a horrible driver's license picture and having to look at it for the next four years. So, I actually put earrings on and applied makeup for my passport debut. And, not trying to toot my own horn, it is truly one of the best pictures I've had taken in about 5 years. (Then again, it doesn't take a lot to beat the stay at home mom look I've got going on...)

Fast forward to the passport photos to be used for our visas... I actually had the photos taken last week, but I went back to the photo place this morning to have them redo them. Doug came home with his earlier this week, and well, they look really good. I noticed that mine had about 3 glare spots on my face, the printer put some kind of ghastly herpes looking sore on my bottom lip, and I was smiling. I vaguely remember reading that these visa pictures were to have a neutral expression. The photo place gladly offer to redo them for me this morning. In an effort to get rid of the glare, they closed every blind in the place. When that didn't work, they hauled out a huge bill board and covered the front door. When that didn't work, they had me tilt my glasses forward on my face. I somehow managed to entangle the ear pieces in my hair to get them to stay that way long enough for the girl to snap the picture, and alas it was met with success. Of course, I remembered to keep my "neutral" face on.

I look like a convict getting her picture taken after being fingerprinted. The only things missing are the orange overalls and the yardstick to measure your height behind the picture. The picture that will be seen by the Russian Consulate and attached forever in my beautiful, still crackles when you open it passport book, looks likes a mug shot. Makeup? No. Earrings? No. Happy to be going to Russia look? No. I did slap on the lip gloss just minutes before taking the picture, but that effort could be akin to trying to kill a plague of locust with a fly swatter. Trust me when I say that did NOTHING to make my photo more aesthetic! The lady showed Annsley the digital picture before she printed it out and said, "I think your mom should have smiled."

5 comments:

  1. And you couldn't post a picture of pictures?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, posting that pix would definitely up the entertainment value of this blog, but the answer is a big no!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!!! My husband looks like a drug dealer in his passport photo and I was sooooo PO'd at our travel agency for Trip 1 I look mean in my Visa picture--which I used for both Visa's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post made me laugh! Our pictures are terrible as well! In fact when we went to meet with our agency I made sure to ask that nobody would be using this picture as a deciding factor for anything!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been reading through your blog as we are considering international adoption (loving it, by the way!), and I definitely empathize with this post.

    We are currently on holiday in Germany, and when we took our passport photos I wanted them to look good. I can honestly say that the photo I submitted was one of the best photos I've ever had taken. I was smiling (laughing, actually), and the lighting was good, and everything. Before submitting the forms, I actually went down the list of rules photos must comply with, just to be certain. By the letter of the rules, it passed. Naturally, they sent back my passport application with a vague note that my photo did not match their guidelines (remember, I checked every single written rule in detail to make sure it complied), but fighting the government was a no go. I finally went to CVS and let them take my photo, and also naturally, I look like I'm high on drugs in their's, with sallow skin, droopy eyelids, the works. An awful photo, so the passport office accepted it without question. All we could think was that Customs/TSA don't generally meet with people who are happy, so if you look happy in the photo, they won't recognize you. ;)

    ReplyDelete